Minimal skills

Donald Wilde dwilde1 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 20:52:02 UTC 2020

On 6/4/20, Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions
<freebsd-questions at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 21:23:36 +0200, Polytropon wrote:
>>Again, the primary tool here is a text editor. Advanced editors
>>[...] are able to display and edit shell scripts [...] in a
>>convenient way.
>
> An important feature is "syntax highlighting". FWIW there's nothing
> wrong with using a GUI editor and keeping your goal in mind, you
> probably should take a look at IDEs. Non-GUI editors are more or
> less only required for emergencies, in the worst case only Vi is
> available on UNIXoid platforms, so it's worse to use it for a few
> days, before possibly migrating to another editor. YMMV!

On that note, I highly recommend SciTE as a GUI text editor available
on all platforms, with syntax highlighting.

As far as IDEs, both Eclipse and the Jetbrains tools -- I use RubyMine
daily and have used PHPstorm and others -- are highly dependent on
Java. Take care when choosing such tools, and be prepared for
problems.

Start at the very simple level, as I said. Learn the FreeBSD boot
process, the startup sequencing -- /boot, rc,  and rc.d are great
starting points.

--
Don Wilde