Migrating To Python 3.x

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Tue Jun 2 03:53:51 UTC 2020

On 6/1/20 5:25 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> On 6/1/20 5:17 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
>> What else did you manage in your mail server setup depend on the sneaky snake (python)?
>

> Bind claims it needs it, but I suspect bind will be ok if I change the
> default python version and reinstall.
>
> Samba says the same thing.
>
> A lot of the dependencies seems to be for mailman.

So I was able to move everything over to python 3.7 _except_ mailman which,
of course requires python 2.7.

However, I keep running into the old problem that the setuptools for each
of these versions conflict with each other because they install in the
same location (why?  everything else in multi-verion python lives under
its own directory tree.)

Until/unless I can figure out a reasonable way to work around this, everything
either has to live under 2.7 past EOL or I cannot run mailman2 (which is
not an option unless mailman3 gets ported).

Has anyone every managed to get py2 and py3 to coexist happily on FreeBSD including
their respective pips and setuptools?

Tim Daneliuk     tundra at tundraware.com