Keyboard and mouse not working after X update

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Jun 1 18:57:05 UTC 2020

On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 01:01:22 +0200, Tomasz CEDRO wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 12:11 AM Polytropon wrote:
> > What is the correct driver for X for "modesetting", and how
> > can I easily verify it has been loaded?
>
> It is part of the Xorg I guess. Make sure you are in the video group.

Verified. The user is also member of the "administrative
groups" (operator and wheel).

> Use no config launch startx and it should auto configure.

Yes, this works. I no longer need (as it seems to be unsupported(
a configuration file for keyboard language, as this has now become
a O(n) instead of O(1) operation, bah, per user.

> Well thing
> changed a bit and we just need to put some time for that to work no
> other way ;-)

I just wish it was documented in a way a simple mind like mine
could understand. :-)

So at the moment, I have this (as explained in the documentation):

In /boot/loader.conf:

	drm_load="YES"

In /etc/rc.conf:

	kld_list="amdgpu"

In the user's ~/.xinitrc:

	setxkbmap -rules evdev -layout de

The following related packages are installed:

	drm-kmod-g20190710
	drm-fbsd12.0-kmod-4.16.g20200221
	xf86-video-amdgpu-19.1.0_1
	libdrm-2.4.99,1

In /var/log/Xorg.0.log, I still get the misleading messages:

[    43.096] (II) LoadModule: "ati"
[    43.098] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module ati
[    43.098] (EE) Failed to load module "ati" (module does not exist, 0)

As I seaid, when the xf86-video-ati package was installed, I
just got a black screen in X. However, with xf86-video-amdgpu
installed, there is no indication in the log file that a driver
named "amdgpu" (or the like) has been loaded. Bit I get the
message saying

Followd by those errors:

[    43.111] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
[    43.111] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for modesetting
[    43.111] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
[    43.111] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for scfb
[    43.111] (II) UnloadModule: "modesetting"

And later on, it's still pointing to VESA being used. Strange thing,
with "glxgears", I now get approx. 260 FPS, which is 5 times as
much as before.

No directory /dev/dri does exist.

I have installed the MESA packages (mesa-demos, mesa-libs, and
mesa-dri), but that's the software renderer. The "driinfo" program
reports an error, obviously.

So it still seems that there's something missing for DRI?

Or is this something to enable somewhere else?

> BSD still seems to be "the rational island" in this "sand castle
> world" and I can clearly see that I also need to add my bricks to make
> it work well thus my focus here :-)

>From all the sand that is blewn over from Linux world, it
becomes a bit harder to see _which_ solution is the suggested
one, at least for the moment...

> > > also use hald and dbus.
> >
> > Accepting outdated Linux stuff to make FreeBSD graphics
> > work again doesn't sound as if it was the right thing to
> > do... ;-)
>
> Yea, but this is my _work_station_ so my main focus is to get the
> results in a shorter and shorter time spans.. not always I have lots
> of time to play and fix things anymore.. the world gone mad :-(

I have systems running MATE which also have HAL and DBus for
whatever reason, and this works.

> > Many many moving parts. :-)
>
> "Change is good" man "root is obsolete" why do we even need those
> computers ;-) ;-)

I don't know I'm no good with computering. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany