Q. ntp pseudo service in a jail

Jon Radel jon at radel.com
Thu Jul 30 20:45:16 UTC 2020

On 7/30/20 16:03, James B. Byrne via freebsd-questions wrote:
> I need a jail to provide responses to ntp queries.  I do not need (or want) the
> jail to adjust the system time.  I just need it to provide whatever time the
> host OS has whenever it is queried.  Can this requirement be met?

You can probably do what you want with the reference ntpd code if you
set it up to have only a LOCAL driver.  This takes the system clock as
the source of truth.

See http://doc.ntp.org/4.2.0/drivers/driver1.html

If you prefer ntpsec, see https://docs.ntpsec.org/latest/prefer.html for
a few further thoughts on using LOCAL with that daemon.

Make sure to set a really high stratum with fudge so that people don't
have to hate on you if you leak the quite possibly crap time further
than you expect.

--
--Jon Radel
jon at radel.com