Ask stupid questions and you'll get a stupid answers, was: Technological advantages over Linux

Ralf Mardorf ralf-mardorf at riseup.net
Tue Jul 28 21:34:23 UTC 2020

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 12:39:28 -0700, Dave Hayes wrote:
>I'll note that, in my observation, "stupid" is an arbitrary subjective
>standard.

Don't take my replies to this kind of thread too serious. OTOH while
it sounds absurd, the pointer to use default themes, such as Adwaita
for GTK apps, before considering something more complex as the culprit
for serious issues, isn't a joke.

I regret to say that sometimes just dropping hardware and buying new
hardware is also a comfortable way to get rid of some issues.

At the moment I'm experiencing now and then short freezes when booted
into Linux >= 5.6 kernels. I don't know if the issue exactly started at
5.6 or a little earlier or later. It still happens with 5.7.10. If I
boot with or without threadirqs. Due to other issues with rt patched
kernels I anyway stay with kernels < 5. All is good when booted into
4.19.132-rt59.

If nobody else does experience the same issue, I could start biscting.
Doing this would most likely take days, without guarantee that it will
lead to something useful.

I bought the Gigabyte GA-B853M-D3H mobo for 56,- € and the Intel Celeron
Dual Core G1840 for 31,- € and pay around 50,- € for 8 GiB RAM, around 3
or 4 years ago.

At the moment 4.19 kernels are supported, if they should get dropped
when I used the hardware for around 5 years, I prefer to pay again
around 150,-€ for hardware that likely works with what ever
operating system I want to use, instead of trying to get rid of issues
e.g. caused by kernel regressions. If there should be an issue related
to the used SSDs and the kernel, then I need to pay a little bit more,
but I don't think so.

I only need hardware that can handle the amount of real-time DSP load
when doing audio productions, by providing low audio latency and that
doesn't consume much power, since a kilowatt hour is very expensive in
Germany.

In my experiences neither the latest and greatest hardware, nor very
old hardware is the best choice for FLOSS operating systems. For some
purposes old hardware works without issues and we could have good luck
with the latest and greatest hardware, too. Hardware that isn't too old
and not to new is the best bet to work without issues.

I'm not surprised that the subscriber whining the most about bad
performance of Linux and Linux software on FreeBSD, but with good
experiences when using Windows, is using a very new generation of
computer technology.