Ask stupid questions and you'll get a stupid answers, was: Technological advantages over Linux

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 08:21:36 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 4:04 AM Yuri Pankov <yuripv at yuripv.dev> wrote:

> Roderick wrote:
> >
> > Would be not a good Idea to make a mailing list freebsd-smalltalk?
> >
> > Examples of Usage:
> >
> > (a) Ask stupid questions
> >
> > (b) give stupid answers
> >
> > (c) speak about Technological advantages over Linux
> >
> > (d) to be home of a lot of long threads whose main purpose is small
> >      talk.
> >
> > Well, the real use would be as spam filter.
>
> There always was (is) freebsd-chat@ for these purposes, I'm not sure why
> the same posters keep spamming freebsd-questions@ with the same long
> threads.

You are confusing posters and the OP.   The problem is not the "posters" it
is the "OP"'s.  What I mean is each of these threads is started by a
different OP and for different reasons.  You are right it is usually the
same set of people that reply to the OP but that is *NOT* the same as
saying that they are purposely spamming -questions at .   The OP often has
legitimate questions about the differences between Linux and FreeBSD (or in
the case of the thread you're replying to how to defend their preference
for FreeBSD's technical merits against co-workers who for whatever reason
attempt to make Linux the only Unix-like OS allowed in their organization).

Additional even much of the thread might be "noise" on "concrete" technical
matters useful and practical issues are often raised in the various
subthreads.   I can think of two issues that are very legitimate topics for
-questions@ (by any definition) being raised (and answered) in this thread
for example.  The first was helping me diagnose the source (and a partial)
solution I had to gtk based on app performance (which would not have been
raised in a separate thread since I didn't consider the issues to be upon
themselves serious enough to post about as an independent question).  I
forget the subject matter of the other concrete issue that was solved.

All this being said there is a rash of *SOME* of the regular set of posters
who say "FreeBSD is not designed for XYZ, don't use it for XYZ use Linux
instead" (this is not helpful and is nothing but being a troll).

TL; DR -- This thread while annoying to some is appropriate for -questions@