Ask stupid questions and you'll get a stupid answers, was: Technological advantages over Linux

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Jul 26 20:24:45 UTC 2020

On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 10:39:16 -0500, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> >> 	What else would you have it do ?  Kill the largest process ? Kill
> >> the last process to call malloc ? There is no good response to OOM. The OS
> >> has no way to know which processes you care about most.
> >

> I agree, Steve. Killing a process is a bad thing always.

And it's not always the "best thing" to do: If a process is
killed for whatever reason, a parent process might think it
is a good idea to spawn a new process that then starts to
behave the same way the killed process did.

> I must confess,
> these are decently large RAM machines. No swap on servers and
> workstation. Swap of the same size as RAM (16GB) on laptop. And I still
> do not consider myself lucky.

Because disk space is cheap today, I tend to create swap
partitions everywhere. If they aren't used - fine. But in
a case where swap space is expected, due to "memory is full"
or "I want to write a core file", it doesn't harm, and in
worst case it can be ignored. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany