Ask stupid questions and you'll get a stupid answers, was: Technological advantages over Linux

Victor Sudakov vas at sibptus.ru
Sun Jul 26 06:33:04 UTC 2020

Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> Incidentally, I've got question for experts. How "Out Of Memory" situation
> is handled by FreeBSD. I only dealt with [memory] "leaky" things under
> Linux, and OOM killer there really does its job well (and its way of
> judgement I do know).

I'm not an expert but I'm unimpressed with the way FreeBSD handles an
OOM situation on a desktop.

I have a FreeBSD desktop PC at home which is always under memory
pressure: Xfce, my Firefox, my wife's Firefox with lots of tabs, several
bhyve guests, a SMB server and other stuff. So the
"swap_pager_getswapspace(11): failed" situation is rather frequent.

FreeBSD freezes, then kills some innocent random processes like
local_unbound, then it may slowly recover. Sometimes it guesses
correctly and kills the offender (firefox most often).

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49 at fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/