tbz file from pkg

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Jul 25 18:38:05 UTC 2020

On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 13:25:19 -0400, Lonnie Cumberland wrote:
> In working with the "pkg fetch .." command, I notice that the coles come
> back with the ".txz" extension.
>
> In my reading on FreeBSD, it seems that the common extension is a ".tbz"

Those extensions mean different things.

> So then, I am wondering how to either have "pkg fetch" return ".tbz" files
> or perhaps there is a way to convert the ".txz" files.
>
> Any insight on this?

The extensions usually identify what 't' that is is a tar
archive, and "xz" indicates the kind of compression. There
are many:

----- filename extensions ----- ------- compression --------
short   long       alternate    meaning           tar option
.tar                            tar
.tgz    .tar.gz                 tar + GNU zip    -z
.tbz    .tar.bz    .tar.bz2     tar + bzip       -j
.txz    .tar.xz                 tar + xz         -J

BSD tar supports them all, it can conveniently combine the
uncompression and extraction operations.

Also see "man 1 xz" and "man 1 bzip2" for details, as well
as "man 1 tar", of course. :-)

In order to convert a .txz to a .tbz archive, you can use
the tools mentioned above to uncompress and recompress the
content. Note that there are various options that can affect
the compression level.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany