Setting up Wayland on FreeBSD

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 11:06:01 UTC 2020

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 6:56 AM Ashish SHUKLA <ashish at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 7/24/20 3:35 PM, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 3:02 PM Lonnie Cumberland <lonnie at outstep.com
> > <mailto:lonnie at outstep.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     [backend/backend.c:304] Failed to open any DRM device
> >
> >     I do have a GPU on this system, not a good one, but still do have
> one:
> >
> >     GK107 GeForce GT 740
> >

> > nVidia cards don't work with the built in drm port you will need to use
> > x11/nvidia-driver only problem in your use case is it drags in a good
> > amount of xorg with it (not just wayland)... it does support wayland
> > contrary to some misinformation out there though (I am using a GT 710
> > with it just fine... you might need to use driver version 390 not the
> > latest though.
>
> That's news to me. Which compositor are you using though, if you don't
> mind me asking ?

I am still using X, because I have seen no compeling reason to switch and
from everything I have seen and heard wayland is still in active
development (i.e. not stable/mature) on neither Linux or FreeBSD, but there
are a number of mentions of it in the port message and the nVidia forums
with very few of the suggestions not working on wayland (without having to
use xwayland).