Installing Bhyve on mfsBSD or other similar (FreeBSD)

Lonnie Cumberland lonnie at outstep.com
Sun Jul 19 16:48:20 UTC 2020

Hi All,

Hope that everyone is doing well today.

As you may know, I am experimenting heavily with mfsBSD as I really like
the ultra-small iso's that it produces which gives me a chance to learn
more about FreeBSD as well as to customize things as I go.

To that end, mfsBSD which I am building against the FreeBSD RELEASE 12.1
base does not contain Bhyve by default but when you install FreeBSD then it
is present.

Would it be possible if someone might be able to point me in the right
direction, or give me some information, on how I might be able to install
the Bhyve binaries, libraries, and drivers into my experimental mfsBSD?

I do not know a lot about the FreeBSD Ports or PKG system, so maybe it is
in there somewhere and I can try to install it, but I need to be able to
create a ".tbz" file of it and its dependencies from what I have read so
far.

On a side note, I was just wondering why Bhyve was a userland application
and not added as some type of kernel extension?   (Mostly just wondering
the reasoning behind it)

Cheers and have a great weekend, everyone.
Lonnie