URGENT: Microsoft overwrites boot loader!

Don Wilde dwilde1 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 23:47:05 UTC 2020

On 7/16/20 1:28 PM, Alan Somers wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 2:20 PM Don Wilde <dwilde1 at gmail.com
> <mailto:dwilde1 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     The [deleted] ones in Redmond have done it again. My multi-OS
>     GRUB2 boot
>     loader is gone, and in its place is a 500M partition called 'Windows
>     boot loader'.
>
>     The purpose is to force us to look at MS' new version of Edge. All my
>     old boot files are gone.
>
>     It's taken me much of the morning to get underneath this, since on
>     this
>     unit my only OS (other than Doze 10) with a WM and GUI is Ubuntu.
>
>     That's the last time I will allow this, and I'm calling those
>     [deleted]s
>     tomorrow to give them a piece of my mind. After that I will erase
>     every
>     vestige of that obscene OS from my disk.
>
>     --
>     Don Wilde
>     ****************************************************
>     * What is the Internet of Things but a system      *
>     * of systems including humans?                     *
>     ****************************************************
>

> Edge?  I thought that was a browser.  What does it have to do with
> boot loaders?
> -Alan
It is. They over-wrote my boot loader with a special package touting
their upgrade and its features.

AUTOEXEC.bat is no longer sufficient for them!

The only way to get out of it was to reboot to a different disk. By
installing a new copy of Ubuntu from DVD on a portion of that drive, I
was able to get to the rest of my disk through its GRUB2 (which had been
trashed by MS).

I sent a really pointed message to MS "Senior Technical Advisors" but
nobody (of more than a dozen who were on-line and saw it) responded. I
hope nobody commits seppuku, but I'll bet there will be some resignations.

MS Windows is the toxic RoundUp of the software world, and 10 is the
most egregious one yet.

--
Don Wilde