Trying to install FreeBSD 12.1 on Librem laptop

Dale Scott dalescott at shaw.ca
Wed Jul 15 00:18:03 UTC 2020

----- Original Message -----

Without any ancillary strategic value, I would NOT recommend using FreeBSD for a "daily driver".

At the risk of offending some of my colleagues, I would suggest if your primary goal is simply a stable desktop environment, with a low learning curve and even lower maintenance requirements, you may be better served by an OS which has a stated goal to provide a superior desktop experience (e.g. Windows, OS X and some Linux distributions). While there have been (and still are) projects aimed at superior desktop environments on FreeBSD, there are simply too few users for such a system for the effort required to do a good job. While it is certainly technically possible to install software on a FreeBSD-based system to create "the best" desktop possible, it is also possible you will spend more time configuring and maintaining it, and less time accomplishing "real" work with the system. It all depends on your goals though.

I develop and host web-based applications and services on FreeBSD, but the servers are headless and my interaction with them (other than the web apps) is a terminal window and command shell. My "daily drivers" are either Windows or Linux Mint. Maybe if I was a sysadmin or site reliability engineer using FreeBSD, or if I was developing software to run specifically on FreeBSD, and if I interacted less with business people and more with hardcore IS/IT people, then I might switch my desktop environment to FreeBSD and benefit from consolidated experiences and knowledge.

Cheers,
Dale