Trying to install FreeBSD 12.1 on Librem laptop

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Mon Jul 13 18:34:10 UTC 2020

On 2020-07-13 10:04, Patryk Cisek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to FreeBSD and was trying to install it on my laptop bare metal
> for the first time. I've installed FreeBSD without any problems a number
> of times in a VM, but now wanted to install on bare metal for the 1st time.
>
> Right after the initial screen, I'm getting an error message, saying:

> can't find '/boot/entropy'
>
> Please, see the screenshot:
> https://people.debian.org/~patryk/tmp/freebsd_install_screenshot.jpg
>
> I tried googling for similar problems, but haven't found anything, I
> could hold on to. There was a similar issue on a Dell laptop
> (forums.freebsd.org), but they resolved the issue by tinkering with
> settings in the BIOS. Librem laptops are running SeaBIOS:
> https://www.seabios.org/SeaBIOS
>
> so I don't have access to any BIOS settings, really. I might be out of
> luck, running FreeBSD on that particular laptop, but wanted to ask for
> help here before giving up. I'd really appreciate any help/suggestions.
> :) Thanks in advance. :)

I see a related item on the Purism FAQ -> Librem Laptops -> Can I
install a different OS on my Librem laptop?

https://puri.sm/faq/

I see a few related posts on the Purism forum:

https://forums.puri.sm/search?q=freebsd

What is the intended purpose of the laptop?

What is the model number and/or part number of the laptop?

Please post the URL for the manufacturer support page.

What are the hardware specifications -- CPU, memory, storage, graphics
chip, display, Ethernet, WiFi, etc.?

What is the motherboard firmware version?

Is PureOS installed and running correctly?  What is the version?  What
is the Linux version?

Do you want to do multi-boot or FreeBSD only?

Please post the partition table for the primary storage device.  If the
laptop has additional storage devices and you want to use them with
FreeBSD (e.g. ZFS mirror, raidz), please post their partition tables.
Please post /etc/crypttab and/or /etc/fstab if you have a PureOS or
Linux installation and want to do multi-boot.

As an alternative, is there a hypervisor available for PureOS?

David