Timestamps in dmesg

Ihor Antonov ihor at antonovs.family
Mon Jul 6 05:27:12 UTC 2020

Hello FreeBSD folks.

A question I've got recently while monitoring a few bugs on my laptop is
"Why does dmesg not show timestamps?".

My use case is following: once in a while a buggy driver would spill an
error into dmesg. It does it periodically, probably in response to some
user action. When I look at dmesg I see dozens of similar error
messages, but I don't know really how often they happen. Did it happen
15 times in last minute? Or 15 times over this day? Having timestamps
would help to correlate errors to other events.

I tried searching through old mailing lists and forum and the only thing
I found is that someone considered this feature to be a bloat. (NetBSD
has it!)

Am I missing something obvious?
  How can I get timestamps in dmesg? It seems to me that this is such an
essential feature..

Thanks.

Ihor Antonov