ipv6 dhcp

Doug McIntyre merlyn at geeks.org
Thu Jul 2 06:07:07 UTC 2020

On Wed, Jul 01, 2020 at 09:00:34PM -0400, Ernie Luzar wrote:
> For host ipv4 setup in rc.conf
>
> ifconfig_em0="DHCP"
>
> Gets the dynamic ip assigned to this host by the ISP.
> Also populates the /etc/resolv.conf with the ip address of the isp dns
> servers.
>
> Is there something like this for ipv6?
>
> maybe ifconfig_em0="DHCP6"

While there is a DHCPv6 protocol, it doesn't do quite the same things
as DHCP for v4 does.  And most IPv6 networks use a combination of
router soliciation and prefix auto-configure on the interfaces, as
this was the original specification that IPv6 networks did.

Read more here https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/network-ipv6.html

ifconfig_rl0_ipv6="inet6 accept_rtadv"
rtsold_enable="YES"

If you are in a network that actually uses stateful DHCPv6 assignments
(rare), there are various dhclient options to make it work, although I
don't have such a setup to tell you what is needed.

And DHCPv6_PD is something else altogether different used by many ISP CPE if
that is what you are trying to do. I'd see what pfsense does to properly set that up.