Why is rufus not available under FreeBSD ?

Vlad D. Markov dvoich at aim.com
Wed Jan 29 20:15:03 UTC 2020

On Wed, 29 Jan 2020 04:37:20 +0100
Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Jan 2020 01:54:28 +0000, Manish Jain wrote:

> > > In this case, a documented procedure, or maybe a shellscript for
> > > the ports collection would be a better solution than trying to
> > > port something to FreeBSD that is heavily tied to "Windows" (it
> > > probably won't work with wine, will it?). I know that it is
> > > basically possible to create a filesystem image suitabe for
> > > USB sticks that boots into DOS, as I have done this decades
> > > ago. The assumption is: It worked decades ago, it should work
> > > today. The reality is: Well... ;-)
> > >
> > > You should not depend on complex solutions (and in this case,
> > > only being available for a non-UNIX OS) in order to do something
> > > that is, more or less, easy, and does _not require_ "Windows"
> > > to be involved in any way. A native solution that works on
> > > FreeBSD would be nice to have.
> > >

> > Hi Poly,
> >
> > I fully agree. Perhaps we should our own command, something like:
> >
> > mkdosbootdisk <device> [OPTIONS]
>
> Exactly, or like mkisofs <options> -o <outfile> <infile(s)>, to
> create a bootable image that can then be written to a USB stick
> or an optical medium. I think this would involve some gpart (ex
> fdisk), newfs_msdosfs, maybe copying files to a mdconfig-based
> "filesystem in a file", and then dd or cdrecord / growisofs to
> get it onto the actual target medium. At least I remember that
> an approach like this worked decades ago. A convenient shell
> script to incorporate all the parts would be nice to have.

For some reason I wanted a bootable dos usb in the distant past. I found this on my computer:

#!/bin/sh

# empty the disk of all data
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0 bs=1m count=2

# Create a master boot record on the disk
gpart create -s MBR da0

# add a 64MB slice (partition) of a type
gpart add -s 64m -t \!6 da0      #fat16
#gpart add -s 64m -t \!12 da0   #fat32

# set the first slice (partitiion) active on dev da0
gpart set -a active -i 1 da0

# place the bootcode in the MBR
gpart bootcode -b /boot/mbr da0

# make file system nd install bootstrap code
newfs_msdos -B /home/vlad/mkDos/bootsect -o 63 /dev/da0s1
#newfs_msdos -F 32 -c 1 -S 512 -C 34089472  -B /home/vlad/mkDos/bootsect -o 63 /dev/da0s1

mount_msdosfs /dev/da0s1 /mnt
cd /mnt && touch IO.SYS MSDOS.SYS COMMAND.COM
cp /home/vlad/mkDos/dosFiles/* /mnt

umount /mnt