Virtualbox shows only 32-bit machine options

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 27 02:41:52 UTC 2020

On 2020-01-27 07:22, Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 21:32:19 +0000, Manish Jain wrote:

>>> 	It is my understanding that - after carefully researching
>>> others' experiences - one ought to always keep the BIOS at the most
>>> recent revision.
>>> 	And yes - if you've never done it before it can be
>>> _terrifying_. The good news is modern machines make it far safer and
>>> less painful than it used to be.
>>>

>>> 			Respectfully,
>>>

>>> 				Robert Huff
>>>

>> Hi Robert/others,
>>

>> So here we go !
>>
>> I have downloaded the latest BIOS version's update file
>> mb_bios_b450-aorus-elite_f51.zip from Gigabyte's support site. The zip
>> archive contains 4 files :
>>
>> B450AE.F51
>> Efiflash.exe
>> autoexec.bat
>> readme.txt
>
> Just for the record then B450M ELITE is at F2, even a F5 wasn't
> released.
> https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450M-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios
>
> B450 ELITE is at F51.
> https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios
>
>> Since I have never updated BIOS before, I will appreciate assistance
>> in what I have to do next. In my understanding, I should
>>
>> 1) Extract the zip's contents somewhere
>> 2) Format a USB pen drive /dev/da0s1 as msdosfs
>> 3) Copy the zip's contents to /dev/da0s1
>> 4) Boot from the pen drive
>>
>> A couple of questions:
>>
>> 1) Is simply booting from the pen drive enough or do I have to carry
>> out some commands ? I do not think I should have to carry out any
>> commands because autoexec.bat contains the required command :
>> (efiflash.exe B450AE.F51)
>
> You don't need to boot, just power on the machine and enter the BIOS
> with the USB stick attached.
>
>> 2) There are multiple BIOS updates available at Gigabyte's support
>> website between my current BIOS version (F5) and the latest BIOS
>> version (F51). Can I directly update from F5 to F51, or whether each
>> BIOS update in between has to be carried out sequentially ? That
>> really would be a nightmare !
>
> In your case it is a nightmare. But usually it isn't.
>
> "Note: Before updating BIOS to this new version, you MUST follow the
> steps as detailed under BIOS F40 discription"
>
> "Note:
> 1. If you are using Q-Flash Utility to update BIOS, make sure you have
> updated BIOS to F32 before [...]. Before update BIOS to [...], you have
> to install EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1 or later version) to avoid
> 4DIMM DDR incompatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU."

Hi Ralf/others,

I managed to sequentially update my BIOS from F5 to F51. It took a whole
night, a Windows 10 installation and Rufus (unetbootin should be able to
do the job, but simply can't create a bootable DOS USB pen drive).

That's the good news. The very bad news is the new BIOS still has
nothing related to virtualization, and VirtualBox therefore still shows
just 32-bit VMs.

What do you think ? Should I trash this motherboard and buy something
else ? BTW, I have written to Gigabyte but do not expect anything out of
it. I used to think Gigabyte boards were good, but now I don't.

Can somebody suggest a good motherboard which is :

ATX
Socket AM4
Memory DDR4
Pairable with AMD Ryzen 3 CPU