PXE boot with 2 NICs

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Mon Jan 13 13:35:58 UTC 2020

On Sun, 12 Jan 2020, Bruce Ferrell wrote:

> On 1/12/20 11:15 AM, Daniel Feenberg wrote:
>>
>> Is it possible to PXE boot from 1 NIC, and then switch all (or most)
>> network traffic to the other NIC? I have a Gigabyte motherboard (R182-Z90)
(that won't PXE boot from an add-in card)...

> You have a bad flash image for the NIC you're trying the PXE boot on.

We did reflash one of the NICs. No change.

> Are you just installing from PXE and then running local or is every boot
> PXE?

Every boot is via PXE, not just the installation.  See

    http://www.nber.org/sys-admin/FreeBSD-diskless.html

> I'd try to reflash the NIC

We did. Anyway, would both NICs be defective? So we are looking for a way
to instruct the FreeBSD kernel to use the 10GBE port rather than the port
the system booted from.

Daniel Feenberg