replacement of security/ipsec-tools

Victor Sudakov vas at sibptus.ru
Sat Jan 11 11:23:48 UTC 2020

Michael Grimm wrote:

[dd]

> Then this mail made my day:
>
> >> What do I need?
> >> 	#) a VPN tunnel between two hosts
> >> 	#) both local networks reachable from the remote host
> >
> > That is what kernel IPSec is for, you can even do it on static keys
> > without any ISAKMP daemon like racoon. See an example in if_ipsec(4).
>
> I did install my IPSEC/racoon tunnel many years ago and missed the recent implementation of if_ipsec completely.
>
> Victor, thank you very, very much for pointing me to this interface.
> Now, my tunnel is far less complicated to implement[1], and I will no
> longer need security/ipsec-tools at all!

You are welcome. But maybe one day you'll want to change your IPSec keys
more often than in a manual setup, then you'll return to some ISAKMP
implementation.

I've been trying out strongswan for the last 2-3 days and must admit
it's not that scary when you grasp the concept. But it is not without
its problems either, see my another post about it.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49 at fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/