Seeking guidance for contribute in FreeBSD

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Jan 6 11:24:13 UTC 2020

On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 13:27:21 +0530, Saurabh Sihag wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
> I am Saurabh Sihag, new to the developers world. I would like to start
> contributing to open source and start working FreeBSD.
> I am highly proficient in C++/C, python and Docker(for deployment).
> Can you suggest me the skills I should start working on so that i can start
> contributing in FreeBSD, also some good beginners bug.

For the basics, I'd suggest to have a look at the following
resources:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/

This should provide a good introduction on the toolchains and
workflow. Rquipped with this knowledge, you should have a good
starting point within FreeBSD development and contribution.

General overview on contribution possibilities:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/contributing/index.html

Furthermore, the FreeBSD source code is of high educational
value, so studying interesting parts of it is helpful.

Regarding bugs:

https://www.freebsd.org/support/bugreports.html

https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/query.cgi?format=advanced

--