Need help trying to recompile kernel with EBR functionality

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 1 04:04:25 UTC 2020

Hi,

I am a long time user of FreeBSD but have never recompiled my kernel.

I am trying to compile a custom 12.1 amd64 kernel with the ability to add/delete EBR partitions, but the online documentation did not help and I ended up losing EBR functionality entirely.

The steps I followed were as under :

1) copied [/usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/]GENERIC as EBRKERNEL

2) commented out GEOM_PART_EBR_COMPAT in [/usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/]DEFAULTS

3) inserted 'options GEOM_PART_EBR' into my kernel configuration file EBRKERNEL

4) cd /usr/src

5) make buildkernel KERNCONF=EBRKERNEL

6) make installkernel KERNCONF=EBRKERNEL

When I shutdown the system and rebooted into the new kernel, the boot process halted complaining that it could find any device /dev/ada0s5 (the EBR partition).

What am I doing wrong ? Any help in getting me a good custom kernel with the ability to add/delete EBR partitions would be greatly appreciated.

--
Thank you & Regards,
Manish Jain