ZFS i/o error on boot unable to start system

Vikash Badal (IS) Vikash.Badal at is.co.za
Fri Feb 28 16:07:39 UTC 2020

Hi James,

On 2020/02/28 15:51, James B. Byrne via freebsd-questions wrote:
> I have reported this on the forums as well.

Vikash Badal (IS)
Senior Technical Systems Engineer
T +27 11 5750825

this helped me with this issue:
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/i-broke-11-0-beta2-uefi-zfs-root-boot.57137/

tldr;

-  boot usb/cd image (must be same version -as OS)

from shell:
- gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 <drive0-n>
-  if you using uefi:
   dd if=/boot/boot1.efifat of=/dev/<drive0-n>p1

refs:
https://solence.de/2019/05/01/update-uefi-boot-code-after-zfs-upgrade-on-freebsd/