rm | Cleaning up recycle bin

Mark Blackman mark at exonetric.com
Sun Feb 23 13:11:38 UTC 2020

> On 23 Feb 2020, at 13:05, Jos Chrispijn <bsduser at cloudzeeland.nl> wrote:
>
> I read somewhere that using the rm command does not phsyically remove the 'deleted' files when using the command in a terminal session. Can you tell me how/where I can really remove these files (as per user account or in general)? Thanks!

What goal are you trying to achieve? The ‘rm’ command will free up the space associated with the file as long as nothing else is holding open the file.  The raw data will remain on the disk until something else needs the space. Are you looking for a secure erase where no data is left behind? Generally that requires removing the entire filesystem. There’s no utility which will zero out the blocks. The general principle is like a whiteboard that you abandon, you no longer expect to find the whiteboard taking up space, but what’s written on the whiteboard is not erased, just the ability to find the whiteboard through the filesystem.

- Mark