[FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD 12.0 end-of-life

Joe A. freebsd at chthonixia.net
Fri Feb 21 05:51:44 UTC 2020

On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 06:20:50AM +0100, Tomasz CEDRO wrote:

> I was also big fan of nVidia for about 20 years.. until I wanted to
> use it for OpenCL on BSD and found out they dont give a sh$^ about
> supporting Open-Source (see famous Linus middle finger scene, also
> note that nvidia drivers are binary blobs) so I switched to AMD RADEON

Had I my preferences, I'd run AMD Radeon also. But I had such issues with
the Radeon APUs that I just decided to go with the Nvidia, at least until
things sorted between AMD and FreeBSD. Not that anyone is at fault nor that
the volunteers don't do what is needed; it's just that many things are
changing. For instance, it wasn't that long ago that I couldn't even find
(let alone afford) a GPU for a PCI slot...remember how bitcoin miners were
purchasing everything in sight and driving prices way up[1]?

It's only been the in the last year or so that I began seeing GPUs
for a PCI slot on the shelves.

So at the time, I had no choice but to purchase an AMD APU.
It's a good thing there were volunteers for FreeBSD that worked
on those.

--
[1] Well, there was an old-power-wasting-runs-hot-card. But who wants that?