[FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD 12.0 end-of-life

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Wed Feb 19 18:47:46 UTC 2020

On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 13:21:56 -0500, Ed Maste stated:
>If getting a machine to a developer into the hands of a developer who
>can investigate and fix the issue is absurd, what would you suggest
>instead?

You have no doubt heard the say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Now, I am 100% in favor of product improvement. I fully understand and
can accept that an improvement may not be backwards compatible.
However, this does not fit into that scenario. The change they made is
not compatible with newer, not older or obsolete products.

Obviously, the product was not properly beta tested. I have beta tested
things for several companies, including Microsoft. If something goes
really wrong, I have a phone number to call for assistance. That
doesn't exist with FBSD, which is why I NRVER user version X.0 of any
of their releases. I did feel that by the tine they got to X.1 they
would have ironed out the major bugs. Obviously, not true in this case.

So, to answer your question, what I suggest is to wait until 13.1 is
released. If that doesn't work, I will just wait until 11.x is put out
to pasture and then move onto a new OS.

Life is simple, why complicate it.

--
Jerry