Switching to backup Network

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Tue Feb 18 20:19:59 UTC 2020

One of my clients has a machine running 12.1 that is connected via two different NICs to two different WANs.  He has drops from 2 different ISPs to provide redundancy. I have configured each of the DNS names with both IP addresses so that web access will switch over to the backup when the primary is down.  Setfib and pf are used to make that work.  That works fine (although there is a DNS timeout involved).  The problem is that all the servers on the machine talk out via the primary IP address.  While web access continues, the server initiated functions fail because the next hop is down.  Is there a way to switch everything over to the backup network in this case?  I don't find anything that enables automatic changes to the default network.

Also, when the backup network goes down, the default network entry for setfib 1 route is deleted.  I have to manually enter that when it comes backup.  I am initially setting that in /etc/rc.local.  Is there a way to make it either remain, or be restored?

-- Doug