[FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD 12.0 end-of-life

@lbutlr kremels at kreme.com
Tue Feb 18 11:00:22 UTC 2020

On 17 Feb 2020, at 20:23, Tomasz CEDRO <tomek at cedro.info> wrote:
> Why so short End-Of-Life? Why so many fast and short releases? What for?

This was vcovered a few years ago (well, “few” when the new timelines were being discussed.

> What was wrong with having one well tested stable system for a long time?

The need to ensure systems are running secure software and are not trivially exploitable.

> FreeBSD does not seem to be reliable desktop environment

True for ever non-Apple Unix variant. Most (that is to say nearly all) FreeBSD installs are non0desktop servers.

--
I WILL NOT CARVE GODS Bart chalkboard Ep. 8F11