tightening sshd, removing server identification banner

David Mehler dave.mehler at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 16:53:56 UTC 2020

Hello,

I'm running FreeBSD 12.0. I'm atempting to tighten up my sshd
configuration. I've got things where I want them, except for the
connecting banner. I'm using sshaudit.com to test things and this is
what it's saying for the banner setting:

Banner:SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_7.8 FreeBSD-20180909

I would rather this be set to nothing or at most very minimal. Google
and the sshd_config man page reveals the Banner and VersionAdendum
options. I've set both to none.

PrintMotd no
#PrintLastLog yes
#VersionAddendum none
#Banner none

Can anyone tell me how to get the results I am looking for?

Thanks.
Dave.