Technological advantages over Linux

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Sun Feb 16 15:07:42 UTC 2020

> On Feb 16, 2020, at 8:51 AM, Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 07:38:23 -0500
> Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, because so
>> much of my work has to be shared among several users, and LaTeX does
>> not offer a suitable way of having a multitude of users edit a document
>> for review, with each edit being kept isolated from the final
>> document
>
> 	LaTeX plus git plus GitHub/Lab achieves that result rather well.

We had locally  subversion + LaTeX. But commercial service overleaf.com which was mentioned on this thread beats it. Also, new generation of scientists are less keen about "programming style” TeX (incidentally, TeX was created as programming language to program typesetting machines), and prefer GUI style everything, like kids playing cubes… Still, whatever helps them to be productive is the best tools to use.

Valeri

> --
> Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>

Valeri Galtsev