Technological advantages over Linux

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Sun Feb 16 00:01:05 UTC 2020

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 23:29:31 +0000, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
>On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 23:58:22 +0100
>Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
>
>> And all of them connect to the Internet, using a device that
>> internally uses a BSD or a Linux, and the bowels of the Internet
>> consist primarily of BSD and Linux. Add "Linux-like things" to
>> the mix, like Android smartphones, or "BSD-like things" like
>> Macs, and numbers might look a little different.
>
>	The late Morten Reistad used to post (in
>	alt.folklore.computers)
>about the numbers of processors with memory management being made and
>comparing that with Windows licenses, Apple and Android phone
>production numbers. Windows, MacOs and commercial unix licenses only
>account for a small fraction of the CPUs made - most of them have to
>be running something else Linux (Android, routers, TVs, cars ...), BSD
>(routers and who knows what else) and Mach (iThingies) being the
>obvious available kernels.

The "blue screen" I often see, when I take a look at the displays used
by public service vehicles, lead to Windows as the used embedded
operating system. Apart from this a friend has got some inside
regarding specialized embedded systems. There at least was a tendency
to migrate from BSD or Linux to Windows. Seriously, when I use the
public bus to go to work, I often see a blue screen and some
output of error messages, with paths using backslashes.