Technological advantages over Linux

Alejandro Imass aimass at yabarana.com
Sat Feb 15 14:10:29 UTC 2020

On Sat, Feb 15, 2020 at 12:26 AM Victor Sudakov <vas at sibptus.ru> wrote:

[...]

> > I didn't really (and still don't) know the circumstances of your work
> > environment. Failing that, this is really a chalk vs cheese scenario.
> > I find both FreeBSD and Linux technically valid solutions (and I throw
> > NetBSD into the mix). One has to be pragmatic and evaluate solutions
> > against problems first. Advocating an OS over another one without
> > taking care of circumstances doesn't make good advocacy.
>
> Fine, let's apply your approach, it could yield interesting results. Can
> we find 3-4 real world scenarios where FreeBSD cannot be replaced by
> Linux without important negative technical and business consequences of
> said replacement?
>
> Other than a case of unacceptability of the GNU license for some legal
> reason, I cannot imagine such a scenario.
>
> Unfortunatly, I've seen lots of reverse cases where Linux cannot be
> replaced by FreeBSD. Docker and friends come to mind first.

Not sure about 3 or 4 but at least 2 high profile cases come to mind that
disprove your thesis:

Netflix and WhatsApp:
https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/testimonial/netflix/
https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/testimonial/whatsapp/

Also a lot of the use of FreeBSD is not well advertised, it's sort of like
Perl (now I am starting to think why my favorite OS and Programming
Language happen to share a lot of traits when it comes to popularity). Take
for example the extensive use in the US DOD etc. except for the MITRE
Report you will not see this kind of usage advertised. FreeBSD's license
allows proprietary usage and that is not advertised either. Just like it's
not advertised how Perl is the duct tape that holds a lot of the US
financial sector together.