Technological advantages over Linux

Victor Sudakov vas at sibptus.ru
Sat Feb 15 06:21:34 UTC 2020

Valeri Galtsev wrote:

[dd]

> > For example, the absence of Docker (or analogous technology) for FreeBSD
> > is a huge disadvantage. We need to name really superiour features to
> > make up for this shortage.
> >

> In my book docker is really a disadvantage, not advantage, compared to
> FreeBSD jails. Namely:
>
> 1. docker carries pretty much whole system for one instance of what you run
> in docker (that is, you have to patch all those instances of docker you
> run), whereas whole bunch of jails can run under single instance of base
> system; hence only one base system to update/patch

I'm no Docker expert by any means, but from what I was shown by Docker
advocates, you fetch the base system (usually the Alpine Linux, only
about 40Mb in size) only once, and all application containers work on
top of it. Once you update the Alpine container, all your container
stacks are updated.

Correct me if I'm wrong about the above.

With FreeBSD's Linux binary compatibility, I see absolutely no reason
why Docker has not been successfully ported to FreeBSD to run native
linux containers (only with linuxolator enabled, because all necessary
linux libs would be in containers). It could give a huge boost to
FreeBSD's user base.

> 2. [correct me someone if I'm wrong, I'm not a Docker expert): docker has
> system whose components are read-write inside of its instance, hence it is

That probably depends on how you compose your containers. Again, from
what I was shown by Docker advocates, Docker has a way for contained
applications to write to dedicated directories of the host's filesystem
if need be.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49 at fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/