some questions about disk partitioning and filesystems and booting

tech-lists tech-lists at zyxst.net
Thu Feb 13 15:53:29 UTC 2020

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 03:18:51PM +0000, Ottavio Caruso via freebsd-questions wrote:
>On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 at 15:02, tech-lists <tech-lists at zyxst.net> wrote:
>> The bsdinstaller defaults to 4GB swap. Isn't this insufficient on a 32GB
>> system?
>
>With 32GB RAM you might not even need swap at all, ever. I,
>personally, wouldn't even bother, but that depends on the load.

The load can get rather high:
1. poudriere for a desktop, so lots of ports
2. poudriere will eat swap with a bulk run with the larger ports. I've watched
it run out of swap then the OS killed the running processes
3. the OS is on the ssd and data (including poudriere) run on zfs.

>> Doesn't swap need to be 2x RAM on a fast disk?
>
>No, this is really an old assumption.

OK, but doesn't it need to be at least the size of RAM if for example a panic
happens? I thought the contents of RAM were written to swap.

--
J.