some questions about disk partitioning and filesystems and booting

tech-lists tech-lists at zyxst.net
Thu Feb 13 15:03:00 UTC 2020

Hi,

[1]
When a new (12.x) amd64 system is installed, the partition defaults to MBR. I
normally use this as it's the default. I don't run mixed-OS systems; they are
all freebsd. But I understand that GPT is newer or "better"?

If GPT is "better" then why is it not the default?

My use case is always ufs for the OS and zfs for data. Would it be "better" to
use GPT when installing a system?

[2]
The bsdinstaller defaults to 4GB swap. Isn't this insufficient on a 32GB
system? Doesn't swap need to be 2x RAM on a fast disk?

The next install I do I'm thinking of making 2x 32GB swap partitions. These
being on the same SSD as the base OS. Would you consider this to be
suboptimal, and if so, why?

thanks,
--
J.