graphics on amd radeon vega

Vasily Postnicov shamaz.mazum at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 13:14:20 UTC 2020

The interesting part of dmesg seems to be truncated:

> [drm] radeon kernel modesetting enabled.
> acpi_video0: <ACPI video extension> on vgapci0

General hint: do not forget to add your user to the group called "video"
(this is not relevant to driver loading, but you will not be able to use
/dev/dri/* devices without this step). Also, for FreeBSD 12 with EFI
bootloader add the following line to /boot/loader.conf:
hw.syscons.disable="1"

and this line in /etc/rc.conf:
kld_list="amdgpu"

Warning! That line in /boot/loader.conf will disable your console driver
(vt(4) that is), so you will see garbage on your display until AMD driver
is loaded. So check if amdgpu driver detects your card first (with kldload
amdgpu).