graphics on amd radeon vega

Oskar Sharipov oskarsh at riseup.net
Tue Dec 29 12:55:58 UTC 2020

Hello!

I'm using FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE-p10 (amd64) on Lenovo S340. There is an
AMD Ryzen CPU with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx as it's printed in dmesg.

The problem is I cannot use amdgpu drivers. I built them from ports, I
wrote kld_list="/boot/modules/amdgpu.ko" in /etc/rc.conf, I added myself
in "video" group. When I boot the laptop I can notice interface is
laggy. Video in mpv is lagging, switching windows in wm is lagging and
so on.

I checked glxheads information, it prints GL_RENDERER is "llvmpipe". As
I understand it means X11 uses default llvm drivers.

I checked Xorg.0.logs, there are these lines:

	[     9.738] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
	[     9.738] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for modesetting
	[     9.738] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
	[     9.738] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for scfb

which also shows something is wrong with loading drivers, as I
understand.

Experimenting I ended up with radeonkms module in rc.conf but I see
no difference, everything is the same with radeon and amdgpu drivers.

I attached graphics_on_vega.tar.gz archive which contains:

	graphics_on_vega/devinfo	that's `devinfo -vr` output
	graphics_on_vega/dmesg	that's `dmesg` output
	graphics_on_vega/hw.model	that's `sysctl hw.model` output
	graphics_on_vega/pciconf	that's `pciconf -lvbce` output
	graphics_on_vega/pkg_info	that's `pkg info` output
	graphics_on_vega/Xorg.0.log	that's `cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log` output

Is it a problem with my understandings how to set up drivers, with Radeon
Vega GPUs or with drivers themselves? Should I file a bug report to
freebsd-x11 at freebsd.org?

--
Oskar Sharipov
site (might be unpaid and cancelled): oskarsh.ru