EFI, UEFI, PXE: FreeBSD-12.1-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso boot from SAN device failed, error 0x7f22208e

Victor Sudakov vas at sibptus.ru
Tue Dec 29 02:27:20 UTC 2020

Dave Hayes wrote:

> Experimental? Eh...this idea seems to work for me as of 12.2-STABLE.
>
> I have successfully booted onto a ramdisk using a "Live DVD" in both BIOS
> and UEFI (I have a hybrid build for amd64) using just the techniques found in
> /usr/src/release/amd64/mkisoimages.sh and a larger setting of EFI_STAGING_SIZE.
>
> The system runs entirely on ramdisk, two in fact because I had to split off
> /usr due to EFI_STAGING_SIZE and not having any guidelines on the maximum
> setting for this make.conf tunable.
>
> So far, four machines have successfully booted on this strategy. There's four
> points of evidence for you. :D

Was this happening over network (PXE boot) or from a physical medium
like USB drive/CD-ROM ?

Your phrase 'using a "Live DVD"' probably means a local medium, then I
don't understand why you had to modify anything. IMHO the standard "Live
DVD" works fine under UEFI without any modifications?

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49 at fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/