What does “No anode” mean in errno 55 when socket connection fails?

Rahul Bharadwaj rahulbharadwajpromos at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 17:33:30 UTC 2020

I was doing a few performance tests on a local server and once in a while I
hit an error where opening a socket connection fails.

i.e. considering the simplest code:

#include <errno.h>
#include <sys/socket.h>

int main() {
    /* code to create socket object */

    int ret = connect(sock, (struct sockaddr *)&serv_addr,
sizeof(serv_addr));
    if (ret < 0) {
        fprintf(stderr, "connect() failed with: %d\n", errno); // <---- *get
errno as 55*
        exit(1);
    }
    /* other code */
}

There is no explanation for this error number "55". In every place, the
only mention is "No anode". There is no mention of what "anode" means and
what "No anode" specifically means.

Can someone please help me with what this errno means or point me to some
documentation explaining the same.

Thanks and regards,
Rahul.