EFI, UEFI, PXE: FreeBSD-12.1-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso boot from SAN device failed, error 0x7f22208e

Victor Sudakov vas at sibptus.ru
Fri Dec 25 15:21:47 UTC 2020

Rick Miller wrote:

> > I've never thought I will have to build a kernel with an MFS image
> > within (outside of NanoBSD). How are you going to boot this kernel from
> > iPXE? Put it on an ISO image and sanboot the ISO?
> >

> Yes. That is precisely how it is accomplished.

I see.

> Is it not possible to fetch a GENERIC kernel by loader.efi, then fetch
> > an MFSROOT image as a separate file? This is the way I did the job
> > during the pxelinux (old BIOS based netboot) times.
> >

> It seems you refer to loading a kernel and separate ramdisk or initrd. I've
> heard it rumored there could be preliminary experimental code to accomplish
> this, but don't have any evidence.

It works very well in the old pxeboot environment:

1. Place kernel as /tftpboot/boot/kernel/kernel.gz
2. Place mfsroot as /tftpboot/mfsroot.gz
3. Configure pxelinux.0 to chainload /pxeboot from TFTP.
4. pxeboot loads the kernel and mfsroot.

To accomplish (4), I have the following lines in /tftpboot/boot/loader.conf:

mfs_load="YES"
mfs_type="mfs_root"
mfs_name="/mfsroot"
ahci_load="YES"
vfs.root.mountfrom="ufs:/dev/md0"

All this however has become obsolete with the introduction of UEFI.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49 at fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/