Network namespaces in FreeBSD

Ihor Antonov ihor at antonovs.family
Wed Dec 23 18:41:52 UTC 2020

On 12/23/20 10:32 AM, Kristof Provost wrote:
> On 23 Dec 2020, at 19:22, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 Dec 2020 16:48:11 +0000
>> Ameya Deshpande via freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am new to FreeBSD. I was wondering if there is concept like Network
>>> Namespaces in FreeBSD, like it is in Linux?
>>
>>     There is something similar see man setfib for details.
>>
> I’ve only briefly played with linux network namespaces, but aren’t vnet
> jails much closer to that?

I have more experience with Linux than with FreeBSD, so I don't know for
sure what setfib is about.

VNET jails is the closest thing that comes to mind when comparing to
Linux network namespaces. Unlike Linux, in a jail you will get all other
namespaces separated too (e.g. mount, pid etc.)

Unfortunately I don't know if it is possible to get exactly same
behavior as in Linux - share all other namespaces except for network
stack. I imagine you can get something like this with Capsicum, but it
would require making changes to the app.

Ihor