Questions about the output of jls

Kyle Evans kevans at freebsd.org
Sun Dec 13 16:16:59 UTC 2020

> Hi,
>
> I habe a current system, where i have current and 12.2-STABLE jails. Checking with jls, i get this output:
>
> root at fbsd13:~ # jls -h jid name ip4.addr host.hostname vnet osrelease path | column -t
> jid  name  ip4.addr      host.hostname  vnet  osrelease     path
> 8    j0    192.168.0.10  j0.local       2     13.0-CURRENT  /jails/j0
> 10   j1    -             j1.local       1     13.0-CURRENT  /jails/j1
> 12   j2    -             j2.local       1     13.0-CURRENT  /jails/j2
>
> the jails are running this versions:
>
> root at fbsd13:~ # jexec -l j0 freebsd-version -u
> 12.2-STABLE
> root at fbsd13:~ # jexec -l j1 freebsd-version -u
> 13.0-CURRENT
> root at fbsd13:~ # jexec -l j2 freebsd-version -u
> 12.2-STABLE
>

> What is "osrelease"? Looking at the name, i would have guessed, it is the
> version of the freebsd userland, running in the jail. But it does't seem so.
> j1 and j2 are VNET jails, so it seems the 1 in the vnet column signifies this,
> j0 is a "standard" jail using the hosts network stack, so the 2 stands for standard?

Hi,

osrelease is what the jail sees as kern.osrelease and uname -r (see:
jail(8)) (i.e. kernel version); it's either specified during jail
creation or inherited from the parent prison if none is specified.

It looks like it's exporting a jailsys int for vnet, so these correspond to:

JAIL_SYS_DISABLE=0
JAIL_SYS_NEW=1
JAIL_SYS_INHERIT=2

So 2 is 'use parent vnet', 1 is 'new one created' -- I don't see this
described in either jls(1) or jail(8), it'd probably be nice if we
translated jailsys ints into "new"/"inherit" since one specifies
"new"/"inherit" for them during creation.

Thanks,

Kyle Evans