Boot problems with a new system

Carl Johnson carlj at peak.org
Thu Dec 10 00:35:09 UTC 2020

Hello,

I have a new system that I have installed FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE (amd64)
onto, but it won't boot back from the disk.  It installed properly and
it has booted a couple of times, but lately it always hangs in the
middle of the boot loader menu.  It always prints the first five menu
entries, but then hangs when it should print out the kernels that are
available.  I can still boot with the memstick and "zfs import" the
pool, and the pool appears fine.  I have tried searching the web, but
haven't found anything that helps.

These are all loader.conf settings I have tried that don't help:
vfs.zfs.cache_flush_disable="1"
kern.cam.ada.write_cache="0"
kern.cam.boot_delay="5000"
loader_delay="3"
boot_verbose="YES"
verbose_loading="YES"

The main system components are:
Motherboard: ASUS Prime A320M-K
Processor: Ryzen 3 3200G
Disk: WDC WDS500G2B0B-00YS70 401020WD (500GB M.2 SATA SSD)

I have run out of ideas, so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Carl Johnson		carlj at peak.org