strange tcp behavior; all systems except 1 connect to google compute engine

tech-lists tech-lists at zyxst.net
Wed Dec 9 00:41:03 UTC 2020

Hi,

On Sat, Dec 05, 2020 at 01:39:31PM -0700, Gary Aitken wrote:

[...]

I'm not an expert, but I'd just like to say that I get the exact same issues
if I fail to account for jumbo frames and overhead at the handover point of my
connection, which is fibre.

All my interfaces are jumbo-capable. I have a dmz (nothing on it right now
apart from my NATting router) and an edgerouter lite 3 device running
OpenBSD 6.8 and pppoe. On the pppoe config I have MTU 1500. On the ethernet
I have MTU 1520. If I were to set the ethernet interface equal or less
than the pppoe interface, then I can't access some sites and these
include all the common search engines. No mss clamping is set in pf.conf.

I don't know the technical why, though. Hope this helps,
--
J.