Jemalloc and FreeBSD question

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Mon Dec 7 18:04:21 UTC 2020

On 12/7/20 3:49 AM, Valerio Besozzi wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm writing my CS thesis about various memory allocator. I found various resources about jemalloc but I think some of these are old. I wanted to kindly ask if you could give me some information regarding malloc()/free()/realloc().
> I already contacted the developers on the official gitter and they provided me useful resources but I was wondering since this allocator is also used on FreeBSD (since this is practically where it was born), if someone more experienced than me could give me some explanations regarding the implementation of these functions.
> Also, any anecdotes about the history of this allocator and FreeBSD would be greatly appreciated.

I am sure the are other places to look but this is pretty much *the*
resource I use when I need to understand how FreeBSD is implemented:
https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/the-design-and/9780133761825/

While I may not dive into jemalloc vs other alocators it does cover all
the internals of FreeBSD in very well written prose.

-pete

--
Pete Wright
pete at nomadlogic.org