(very OT) Ideal partition schemes (history of partitioning)

Michael Sierchio kudzu at tenebras.com
Sun Aug 30 22:29:06 UTC 2020

On Sun, Aug 30, 2020 at 3:13 PM Thomas Mueller <mueller6722 at twc.com> wrote:

> GPT means I never have to deal with traditional BSD disklabels any more; I
> don't run OpenBSD or DragonFlyBSD.

Yes. It does make for an uglier /etc/fstab – in my case, anyway.  I use a
uuid generator for names of partitions that share a disk.

/dev/gpt/X0ytZZj73CYF0-root      /          ufs     rw,noatime          1 1

/dev/gpt/X0ytZZj73CYF0-swap.eli  none       swap    sw                  0 0

/dev/gpt/X0ytZZj73CYF0-tmp       /tmp       ufs     rw,noexec,nosuid    2 2

/dev/gpt/X0ytZZj73CYF0-var       /var       ufs     rw,noatime          2 2

/dev/gpt/X0ytZZj73CYF0-vartmp    /var/tmp   ufs     rw,noexec,nosuid    2 2
/dev/gpt/X0ytZZj73CYF0-usr       /usr       ufs     rw,noatime          2 2

The fstab also shows the argument for separate parititions for tmp
filesystems.  Any world-writable filesystem should be noexec, nosuid.
Well, that's my opinion.

--

"Well," Brahmā said, "even after ten thousand explanations, a fool is no
wiser, but an intelligent person requires only two thousand five hundred."

- The Mahābhārata