(very OT) Ideal partition schemes (history of partitioning)

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Sat Aug 29 19:28:03 UTC 2020

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 21:10:16 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf at riseup.net> wrote:

> Forwarding to a pen pal who was involved in electronics already before
> the transistor was invented.
>
> What? How aged are you folks? I'm from 1966 and when I started with
> computers, I already used 5 ¼ floppy disks.

	I'm from 59, I used punched cards and paper tape on an IBM-1130 for
my start in computing, then went on to teletypes and a DG Eclipse before
encountering one of the first TRS-80s in the UK (I said "Nice keyboard
where's the computer"). Then I went to college and met an IBM-370. I didn't
meet floppies until after college when I worked on the Torch - if anyone
remembers it CPN was my idea and Dave Oliver made it good.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>