(very OT) Ideal partition schemes (history of partitioning)

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Sat Aug 29 18:24:47 UTC 2020

On 8/29/20 1:08 PM, doug at safeport.com wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Aug 2020, Polytropon wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 23:08:30 -0400, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
>>> When installing another OS then FreeBSD (won't state which one to avoid
>>> flame wars) I noticed it's default partitioning scheme breaks the
>>> main (and
>>> only) drive on the system down into 50 GB chunks (in my case / and
>>> /home)
>>> by default (I over road to FreeBSD's default of one big partition for
>>> the
>>> whole drive [minus swap]).
>>>
>>> I was wondering what people think of different generalized partitioning
>>> schemes? (there is no right answer here but I might question your
>>> comments)
>>
>> You are correct about the fact there is no "the correct way".
>> What you should implement in your partitioning layout depends
>> on what you want to achieve, and there usually are several
>> ways (with advantages and disadvantages) to accomplish that.
>>
> [cut]
>> That was quite a hodgepodge of statements, but I'm sure you
>> will be able to extract some useful information from it, and
>> those can be the source of further questions. :-)
>
> Wow Poly, Doug, Steve, this is a thread to save. I guess only guys named
> Doug have used punched cards. Anyone else used paper tape?? The most
> inventive use of punched cards in my past, was when an Alogol system
> arrived without a terminal (or card punch) my boss, with a pocket knife,
> "punched" the character set. Then until the terminal arrived, tested the
> system by programming one card at a time into the card reader. The
> tedium was minimized by copious amounts of beer.

On a similar note: we had a group of ladies who were "typing" on punch
card typing machines. No regular person (programmer) was allowed access
to one. Then, after hours if you found bug and needed to make small
change, you were "editing" punch cards using point tipped razor to cut
new holes, and were plugging holes with those rectangular pieces punched
out of cards, found near card duplicator. "Doctored" like that card,
however, can damage card reader, so you put it through card duplicator
(which is more robust device than card reader), compare duplicate to
make sure it is what you need, and then you can leave your modified
program to run during night. Otherwise you will have to wait till
morning when card punch ladies come to work.

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago