Jail question: packages with relative symlinks

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Fri Aug 28 02:40:01 UTC 2020

On 2020-08-27 04:50, Ernie Luzar wrote:
> snip
>>
>> p.s. Lucas wrote some good books that cover jails:
>>
>> [1] https://mwl.io/nonfiction/os#af3e
>>
>> [2] https://mwl.io/nonfiction/os#fmjail
>

> The jail book is a waste of your money. Half of it is about a software
> tool that has nothing to do with native jails. The other half is a copy
> of stuff you can download from the internet. The biggest problem is none
> of the things he talks about in the book, did he test to see if they are
> true. I was fooled by the subject not by the content. It's not worth
> what you pay for it. It's a scam.

When learning a non-trivial subject, RTFM and STFW can require a lot of
effort -- especially the latter, as the WWW is full of incomplete,
obsolete, and contradictory information.

I am willing to pay a reasonable price for a printed book that contains
current information, organizes it, and presents it in a rational order.
Lucas writes such books, and I own eleven of them.

I do not recall ever encountering an error when entering an example from
a Lucas book.  (But, I have not entered every command from every book.)

When I wanted jails for my SOHO server, I read Lucas and choose the
jail(8) option.  My server is running 24x7 without issues.

I believe I attempted ezjail for a second server, but ran into problems
with the software not being unsupported on 12.1-RELEASE (?).

I have not tried iocage.

David