diff is a little diff -- erent

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Aug 26 07:50:00 UTC 2020

On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 01:30:38 -0400 (EDT), Doug Denault wrote:
> I do wonder why. Who is going to go to the effort to build/install "base"
> commands as various options are removed/changed? I can't wait to see what
> happens to cp, grep, find, and awk.

If I remember correctly, grep already is BSD grep (with GNU grep
being available via ports collection), and the same for awk (and
gawk respectively). In most cases, the base commands implement
the set of standard features, while the GNU commands have certain
GNU extensions added which the standard does not require or even
specify. This, and the licensing terms (BDSL / GPL) that apply.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany